Moving To Another State With Your CPO

Many people wonder – can I move to another state with my civil protective order?  How will the state enforce it?

If you have a Washington, DC Civil Protective Order, it can be enforced in another state, as long as it meets federal standards.  The Violence Against Women Act provides that all valid CPOs granted in the United States will receive full faith and credit in all states and courts.  So each state must enforce out-of-state CPOs in the same way it enforces its own orders.

How do you know if your CPO meets federal standards?  Under federal law, a CPO is valid anywhere in the United States as long as: (1) It was issued to prevent violent or threatening acts, harassing behavior, sexual violence, or it was issued to prevent another person from coming near you or contacting you, (2) the Court that issued the order had jurisdiction over the people and subject matter, and (3) the defendant received notice of the order and had an opportunity to tell his or her side of the story.

If your CPO meets the federal standards, then it is enforceable everywhere in the United States.  Make sure you keep your CPO with you if you decide to move out of state.

3 Thoughts to “Moving To Another State With Your CPO”

  1. It’s difficult to find knowledgeable people for this subject, but
    you sound like yyou know what you’re talking about!

  2. Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wished to say that I’ve really enjoyed surfing around yourr
    blog posts. After all I’ll be subscribing in your rss feed and I
    am hoping you write once more very soon!

    1. Sonali Khadilkar

      Thanks for your comment!

Leave a Comment